Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Game Box Tutorial

Christmas Game Box Tutorial
I finally have a new photo tutorial for you!  After seeing a similar activity here on Splitcoaststampers, I created a box for a Christmas word game that can be played as your friends and family gather around your home this season.  The game is called “Tangled Yuletide Strains”  and I thank my daughter for the title.  To play the game, you have to guess the title of a Christmas carol by reading from a game card with a wordy description on it.  Several of my friends (I have been hiding it from my family until I bring out the Christmas decorations) have looked over the game cards and shared a few laughs so I hope you like it too!! 
Here we go!!! 
STEP 1
Christmasgamebox1
Start with two pieces of cardstock both cut to 8 1/2″ x 9″.  Score 1 1/2″ on both 9″ sides; turn 90 degrees and score at 3″ on one shorter side only.  On both pieces, cut in on score lines up to intersecting lines on both sides as shown.
STEP 2
Christmasgamebox2
Stamp both pieces and fold on score lines; cut off 1 set of side bottom panels as shown.
STEP 3
Christmasgamebox3
Adhere the 3″ flaps together – this creates the base of your box. 
STEP 4

Cut two pieces of cardstock to 3″ x 6″ – these will be the interior side panels.  Adhere each one to the inside of the existing bottom flaps.  If you adhere these panels to the insides (as opposed to the outsides) of the flaps, you will end up with a box with no seams showing!!
Next, bring one side panel up and adhere each side flap to it.  Repeat on other side.

To cover up the side seams, I used some 1/4″ grograin ribbon adhered with Sticky Strip.  Your box should look like this now - and see – no seams, in or out!!
STEP 5
Christmasgamebox6
Now we will create the inside dividers of the box.  I wanted three separate compartments – one for game cards, one for answer sheets and one to hold pencils or pens.
Cut a white cardstock piece to 4 1/2″ x 11″.  Score at 1 1/2″, 5 1/2″ and 9 1/2″.
Cut another white piece to 3″ x 11″.   Score at 1″, 5 1/2″ and 10″. 
Fold on score lines as shown in photo.  I assembled the dividers before I put them in the box because I wanted them to be “connected”.  So I accomplished this with my very favorite adhesive – the Tom bow Multi Purpose Adhesive.  I drew a thin bead of adhesive along one edge of one divider and attached it to the intersecting divider.  It just gives a cleaner look I think!  Now set this piece into your box.  You can use adhesive or not to secure in the box – up to you!!
Christmasgamebox7

STEP 6
Christmasgamebox8
Make your box lid.  You need a coordinating piece of cardstock cut to 6 1/8″ x 8 5/8″.  Score at 1 1/2″ on all four sides.  Cut on 4 score lines up to intersecting lines.  I also like to cut off corners of the flaps for a cleaner look.  Fold and secure all four box corners.
STEP 7
Christmasgamebox9
Cut 2 pieces of white cardstock to 2″ x 11″.  Adhere them together and punch a scallop edge along one long side.  Cut this piece to approximately 18 1/2″ long and adhere it to the inside of the lid. 
Cut 2 pieces of a coordinating color to 1/2″ x 11″.  Adhere them together and attach to the outside of the lid.  I attached mine fairly close to the bottom edges to give the corners a bit more support.
STEP 8
Decorate your box lid as desired.  Using an old fashioned eyelet setter (you know, the one stuffed in the back of your craft drawer you haven’t used in 3 years???) punch 2 holes in the lid top approximately 1 1/2″ from each side.  Thread a 5″ piece of ribbon through holes and secure ribbon ends by taping them to the lid or by tying a knot in each ribbon end.  I’ve done it both ways and I don’t have a preference.
I finished off my lid by adding silver cord around the lid and tying a bow in front.  The cord is elastic making this ”bow tying” business so easy!!

STEP 9
Finish off your box by decorating as desired.  I created a title in my MS Word program, matted it and popped up a couple of die cut snowflakes.  (Did you notice I changed the box and lid colors on you just now???) 

STEP 10
Create your game cards and answer sheets.  I made up this pdf file for you.  Click on the link, print the document onto cardstock, cut out cards and stamp if desired.  Place in box with some pencils or pens and your done!  
 
I hope you enjoy this tutorial and if you make a box for yourself – I would love to see it!!!!  Pretty please???
Supplies Used:
Stamps – Serene Snowflakes
Paper and Ink – Bordering Blue, Night of Navy, Whisper White
Accessories – Scallop edge punch, silver elastic cord, Navy 1/4″ grograin and white satin ribbons, eyelet setter, Big Shot and snowflake dies, clear crystal brad, dimensionals. Thank You! Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Stopping In, Please come back soon, I will have many new Card and Ideas as well as Video Tutorials.. I hope you have a wonderful Day!